Sunday, August 05, 2007

Elvis and Me

I'm not one to spend my week planning out my TV schedule. As a matter of fact, I can safely say, I never PLAN on watching anything. What I watch on TV is really just what's already on when I push the power button. Which is why tonight, I found myself watching Part 2 of which Part 1 happened to be on last night when I grabbed the remote.

The movie, called "Elvis and Me," was made, oh, probably twenty years ago. I assume this because I remember sitting six inches away from the screen on our old analog dial TV in Wahoo, Nebraska, craning my neck from where I was indian-seated on the floor. I had taped this movie, being as it was made for TV, and my parents didn't see that it was fit for a viewer my age. And because it was the only thing I had on videotape, I watched on an endless cycle whenever Angela Bartek, my babysitter, ignored me to talk to her boyfriend on the phone or raid our freezer for Flav-o-rite popsicles, which was, generally speaking, all day.

Watching this movie today brought back so many memories. Especially the parts where Elvis and Priscilla have sex on their wedding day, and the part where she tells him she's pregnant, the rape scene, and the ending after Elvis' death. For some silly reason, this movie really affected me today. Maybe because I remember being so naive about live when I first saw it and wished to have that naivete again, for just a moment or two. I guess I'm getting old, because it made me nostalgic. And Elvis died before I was even born. Exactly a week before I was born. Exactly 30 years ago in 10 days.

Elvis has no significance in my life. I don't really care for his music. I haven't ever seen any of his movies, except, well, "Blue Hawaii" which I don't even really remember. But "Elvis and Me" is one of those movies that caught me at a point in my life where my long term memory was especially active, and so it's permanently implanted. Similar to "Ghostbusters," "Splash," or "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Funny the things we remember.