Monday, March 26, 2007

Tickled as I Vibrate

A couple of weeks ago I was finally able to wean myself off a prescription drug I'd been taking for almost 7 years. And for the past couple of years now, I've been experiencing some minor stomach irritation, particularly in the morning. A little nausea after breakfast, you know, but nothing serious. One of the inactive ingredients of that pill is a titanium alloy, which you'd think could cause some stomach irritation, but I'd never been able to rule it in as the cause for my stomach troubles.

Back in 2003, I noticed I had lost the ability to drink coffee of any sort without experiencing some incredible abdominal discomfort. But two weekends ago when I had brunch with my friend Tina, I decided to take a leap of faith and order a Mexican mocha, which I thoroughly enjoyed with no stomach trouble whatsoever. At the time, I figured the quiche I ate along with my mocha had acted as a buffer. But then on Wednesday, I decided to throw caution to the wind and order a mocha with whip from the local coffee shop at work. And boy did it taste good. Damn. I did the same thing yesterday, still anticipating some minor gastrointestinal aches, but nothing.

Today, I'm officially an addict. I've had a mocha, a latte, and an Americano, not to mention my morning cup of tea. I feel like coffee's become my new crank. In fact, not even the massive blisters I'm getting from my new Marc by Marc Jacobs 4" heels could bring me down from this high. I've gotten so much done today. My office is spotless. My socks have been pressed. And the naps! They've receded! I don't even feel the urge to crawl into that dusty space above my cabinets in my office and curl up for a siesta. What's wrong with me!?!

Coffee, that's what.

I'm in love.