Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Faking Talent

In an effort to call myself a better photographer than I actually am, and to just make myself a happier person in general by spending money, I've chosen to purchase a DSLR camera. However, I've never been a complete idiot when it comes to spending perfectly good dough, so I elected to spend $200 renting a DSLR first rather than just buying one. (Not an idiot, right?)

At first, I had my heart kind of set on a Nikon D50 since I had heard great things about it and knew that it was a good DSLR for a neophyte like myself. However, the rental company only had one model available, which was a Canon EOS Rebel XT. I said fine, screw me out of $200 and don't send me the camera I want. So, last weekend, I grabbed the new camera and headed up to the hills in Corvallis with a friend.

The only real problem I noticed was that we weren't working with a lot of light even though we were outside. We got up there after 2:30 and it was overcast. This one I took in reasonable light further towards the end of our hike.
I took this one at this place where it looked like part of the hill had imploded in on itself and left this frosty pond.
Despite that it's so dark, I love this one the most:
For some reason, I love this picture, which I took yesterday. My aunt bought this for me in Tijuana.
As you can see, my photo skills could use a little tweaking, so instead of learning how to take better photos, I'm taking a class on Photoshop CS2 in order to use a completely different open-source software called GIMP. I anticipate is will be so much harder to learn than Photoshop, but hey, it's free, and what's better than that, right?

I just wish the camera was.