Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker."

--Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I miss the hot summer days when my friends and I would make Kool-Aid. We wouldn't make it the regular way by adding the disgusting lyophilized high-fructose corn syrup to the pitcher, followed by a cup of sugar, and a whole ass-load of water. Nope, we wanted to make a sort of Kool-Aid chowder. We'd add peppermints, butterscotch candies, and sometimes even those crappy root beer barrels that never tasted like root beer, but nevertheless succeeded in creating a marvelous sugar high. One time a friend and I added atomic fireballs and put the concoction in the microwave.

My favorite Kool-Aid memory was when we added Pop Rocks. Now, I don't know if they still make these puppies but when I ate them they literally exploded in your mouth. I'm still shitting out chunks of teeth that chipped off when the sparks shot out from under my tongue. In the 1980's, those Pop Rocks should have been considered an incendiary device.

Pop Rocks only came in a little packet. What we really wanted was a 5-pound bag of them but I guess my mom was too stingy to search out the infant sized bag of Pop Rocks, and since we didn't have Costco in the midwest, I had to go with the little 1-ounce baggie of them. We knew the Kool Aid-Pop Rock ratio was too high, so we downsized the amount of Kool Aid to about a half a cup. We dumped in the Pop Rocks and wow! Was that entertaining! What was even better was adding Pop Rocks to soda! The cup practically exploded...or, at least that's what my memories are telling me.

Right now, I'm heading out for a night out with my girlfriends, and I think I'll take along some Pop-Rocks. They might make an interesting addition to a mojito.